[Frameworks] Experimental Animated Documentaries

Bernard Roddy tactilecorpus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 15:45:14 UTC 2015

Hi Andy:

A good deal of my work could be described in the way you frame your
inquiry.  Thank you for posting the request.

My early work consisted of 16 mm sound films exploring philosophical
material:
Truth (1998)
Relativism (1999)
Time & Object (2001)

I am not sure what an animated documentary is. It may be that animation
relying on technically straightforward production methods (shot in film,
for example, use of a Bolex, Super-8, etc.) invites us to think about
truth, even though the graphic 2D character of traditional animation also
has a lot in common with the stage.  (I am thinking in particular of a Ben
Popp film.)  At the same time, certain values found in documentary (an
esteem for truth, for authenticity, risk perhaps, for eloquence) make it
inevitable that whatever "experimental" means in animation invites the
thought of documentary.

You can read about my work in film and video here:

http://tactilecorpus.com/list.html

Bernie

>*     Hi,
*>>*     I have a friend who is looking for experimental animated
*>*     documentaries that follow non narrative structures, and animated
*>*     documentaries which function as a critique of traditional
*>*     documentary techniques.
*>>*     Any suggestions for her?
*>>*     Many thanks,
*>>*     Andy Connor*