[Frameworks] JOB LISTING UMBC

Mark Street mstreet430 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:50:05 UTC 2015

ADVERTISMENT: Assistant Professor of Visual Arts, Cinematic Arts

The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Department of Visual
Arts

seeks applications from creative, conceptually based Filmmaker/Media
artists with

expertise in all aspects of screen-based digital media production.
Applicants must

possess a terminal degree in Cinema, Media Production, or similar
discipline and have

the ability to teach production courses in narrative, documentary, or
experimental

formats. Experience in teaching courses in theory, screenwriting, history,
and/or

related topics, is preferred.

Cinematic Arts is one of seven undergraduate concentrations in a non-

traditional Visual Arts department. B.F.A. and B.A. degrees are offered in
the following

areas: Animation/Interactive Media, Art History and Museum Studies,
Cinematic Arts,

Graphic Design, Intermedia, Photography and Print Media. We also offer an
M.F.A.

program in Intermedia & Digital Arts.

The UMBC Cinematic Arts concentration offers a range of courses within an

innovative curriculum that merges traditional genres with new technologies.
Course

content instills in the student a strong conceptual, theoretical, and
historical

background to the material.

The successful candidate must be committed to excellence in teaching,
research, and

service. He or she must demonstrate: (1) an established record of artistic
and/or

scholarly achievement; (2) previous university-level teaching experience;
(3) a keen

interest in developing a forward-thinking Cinematic Arts curriculum; (4) an
interest

in mentoring and/or teaching M.F.A. graduate students. Candidates that
possess

experience or expertise working with, teaching, or mentoring diverse groups
or

diverse students are preferred. The course load assignment is five courses
per year.

UMBC is a medium-size public research university ranked in the category of
‘Research

University-High Research Activity’ by the Carnegie Foundation. Located 15
minutes

from downtown Baltimore along the Washington-New York corridor, UMBC is
close to

a major international airport and Amtrak. Undergraduate admission is
competitive.

UMBC is especially proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek
to attract an

equally diverse applicant pool for this position. We have a strong
commitment to

increasing faculty diversity. We encourage applications from women,
minority group

members, veterans and individuals with disabilities.

This tenure track, nine-month, full-time appointment begins August 2016.
Salary is

commensurate with qualifications and experience. Preference will be given

applications received by January 15, 2016. Please send samples of work and
research,

CV and cover letter describing teaching interests and philosophy, research
interests,

and three letters of reference via Interfolio (apply.interfolio.com/31797)

For more information about the Department of Visual Arts, please visit our
website

at http://art.umbc.edu/main.php or contact the department Chair, Preminda
Jacob, at

(410)455-2150.

UMBC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.