[Frameworks] High-definition frame grabs

Colinet André colinet.andre at coditel.net
Sun Oct 4 21:59:39 UTC 2015

I agree and I love you Marilyn !!!

From: marilyn brakhage
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2015 6:43 AM
To: Experimental Film Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] High-definition frame grabs

Dear Dave Tetzlaff,  It would be nice if you would stop attributing positions and opinions to people that those people don't have, or suggesting, by implication, that they do things they don't do.  You have no idea who I charge and who I don't charge, or whether I ever "demand" anything at all. And one thing you are leaving out is that all people, in various walks of life, not just in the art world, but including in the art world, do have a "right" to charge other people for services provided.  If time and money is being spent to provide a service, one has a "right" to charge for the service given (if one so chooses).  If expertise and advice is wanted, one has the "right" to charge for that expertise and advice (if one so chooses).  Fred Camper and I (sometimes) collect fees for a service that we provide.  This has nothing to do with copyright law.  However, as to the separate question of copyright and fair use, what is "fair use" is obviously determined in part by whether or not the use is "of a commercial nature" (vs research, criticism, teaching purposes), as well as by the nature of the work, the amount used, and "the effect of the use upon the . . . value of the copyrighted work."  The original discussion here began over someone who was inquiring about how to obtain "high resolution images . . .  for a book".  Obviously there are sources and methods that are better or worse, for various reasons.  But "permission" is another matter.  -- People sometimes do, but often don't, ask my "permission" to use images.  They are more likely to contact us simply to ask if we can provide them. However, while there are, of course, many things that one does not have to ask any permission for, I do appreciate the consideration of those people who do ask for permission for various different uses of Brakhage work.  And if you are really of the general opinion that "asking permission of anyone for anything is ideologically regressive, and frankly irresponsible" -- well, I guess you live in a different universe than I do.

No more time for this conversation I'm afraid.  Much too busy (providing mostly free services).

Marilyn Brakhage