[Frameworks] Shooting Super 16 but composing for regular

Jodie jodiemack77 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 01:34:44 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

Yes, you do hear the framelines when shooting an optical sound film. To me, it's always felt like a timbral quality since the sound is passing the light so quickly, giving extra vibrations to the sounds within the frame. But, I guess if you think about it scientifically, the frameline produces a frequency of 24hz.

This would also be a good time to alert the list that, for about the last year and a half, I directed a Digital Musics graduate student in the creation of a computer application for composing optical sound films: Spirits in Objects (shout out to Fishinger's influence on John Cage). The program can approximate the sound of any picture as it would play on the optical track. And, users can sequence images (+hear them and export WAV files). From the sequenced images, the program gives you javascript that users can use via expressions in After Effects to sequence the images ready for shooting on the super16mm camera. While this application is still in beta mode, I would love to hear from any frameworkers interested in using it.

Best,

JM