[Frameworks] Film to digital photo to video on a JK

Chris G spydir at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 13:03:12 UTC 2015

Frameworkers,

I am looking into mirrorless digital cameras for capturing individual still
frames on a JK optical printer to then be compiled into video output. I
realize that there is information out there on past implementations of
DSLRs and mirrorless cameras used for digital transfers but I want a very
contemporary take given the advancements in this format and what one's
general concerns might be. I would also love to see examples of output from
similar set ups. I realize that much of this can be gleaned from research,
but my attempts so far have only yielded uncertain results (dead links, old
posts, unspecified techniques). I am more interested in the consumer market
of these, and don't really want to spend more than $500 on a body.

• What sensor size (considering crop factor/coverage and using existing
50mm and 75mm lenses on my JK) is optimal for capturing 16mm/S8? It seems
that the mirrorless cameras have gained considerably larger sensors in the
last year(s), even on the consumer level, so now certain sensors are 2x the
size of a 16mm frame. JK's website references using an older Lumix and the
old Sony S1 Pro, which doesn't really apply to today's market so well.

• Will I likely need to extend my bellows more than 6"?

Light

• Consumer cameras seem to have a lowest native ISO rating of 80-200,
depending on the model/brand. I'm assuming that one consideration I should
take would be finding a camera/sensor with the lowest native ISO, but is
there generally a massive difference in latitude between the common
80/100/160/200 CMOS sensors?

• Would I need to compensate for density through lamp brightness/filters in
order to capture more detail in shadows/highlights?

• Alternative light sources? A Frameworks thread back in December 2010
addresses this pretty well and how the standard bulbs are only rated for
10-20 hours of use and this process being incredibly slow you could burn
out your bulb before you even capture 100' of film. I am inclined towards
building my own LED source but am wondering what others have come up with.
I know Jaakko sells LEDs for the 103/104, but I think I can come up with
something more appropriate for my specific needs.

Process/Output

• That same thread from Dec 2010 mentions compiling the images in an
animation codec in FCP7. I have Adobe CC + access to older CS programs and
Media Composer 8, so wondering what the best workflow with those resources
would be.

Overall

I have a 103 that's controlled with a computer-based sequencer. I use Nikon
enlarging lenses and a C-mount REX 4. I don't want to invest in large
format (135mm/150mm) lenses at this point. I am leaning towards a Sony
A5000/51000, depending on the crop factor/coverage as it has a 23.2mm x
15.4mm sensor. I'll control the digital camera as I do the Bolex, through
the computer sequencer, so I need a wired remote for interfacing the
shutter actuation. I realize that an older camera body might be just fine
for my needs, but SDXC would be nice, especially if I want to shoot RAW.

My general expectations are to have a set up sufficient for web output, but
something suitable for digital projection would also be nice. I know this
is a sloooooooow process and that there are likely several other
considerations I've overlooked or just not researched. Any input on my
specific questions or experience with similar set ups would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris