[Frameworks] Articles/essays on the history of flatbed editors (Moviola, Steenbeck, etc)?

Watter, Seth seth_watter at brown.edu
Sat Sep 5 23:09:14 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm wondering if people know of any texts that deal with the history of the
flatbed editor--more in its capacity as a viewing/analysis machine than as
an actual editing setup. I've found a few old articles on the Moviola in
journals like American Cinematographer, but they're strictly trade press
stuff, often just to advertise new product. I'm interested in how these
devices like Moviola and Steenbeck helped foster new forms of film analysis
(especially in the social sciences), and when they became
affordable/available beyond big studio production. Any suggestions would be
immensely helpful.

Thanks,

Seth Watter
PhD candidate, Modern Culture & Media