[Frameworks] Articles/essays on the history of flatbed editors(Moviola, Steenbeck, etc)?

todd eacrett hellbox at agit-prop.com
Tue Sep 8 04:34:15 UTC 2015

What were the little motorized desktop Moviolas, the LV or LY? The one
every college football coach had in his office, according to Hollywood?
Some serious film analysis happened on those.

       Of course a lot of us used Steenbecks to edit films…  and still do.

They were quite expensive so would not be commonly used by researchers
not attached to institutions (or with large grants).

> On Sep 5, 2015, at 6:09 PM, Watter, Seth  wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if people know of any texts that deal with the history
> of the flatbed editor--more in its capacity as a viewing/analysis
> machine than as an actual editing setup. I've found a few old
> articles on the Moviola in journals like American Cinematographer,
> but they're strictly trade press stuff, often just to advertise new
> product. I'm interested in how these devices like Moviola and
> Steenbeck helped foster new forms of film analysis (especially in the
> social sciences), and when they became affordable/available beyond
> big studio production. Any suggestions would be immensely helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Seth Watter
> PhD candidate, Modern Culture & Media
> Brown University