[Frameworks] NEW DIRECTOR NEEDED for Millennium Film Workshop

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Sat Sep 26 17:04:54 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

We’ve really gone down the rabbit hole on this one. Between the detailed analyses of Jona Gerlach’s identity and self-righteous tsk-tsk-ing emails to an author who isn’t even on the list anymore, it might strike some that the gentlemen and ladies of Frameworks doth protest too much.

A little googling finds the name Jona Gerlach deep in staff lists of several film festivals and as the author of a handful of online DVD reviews, among other things. So I think we can take the initial email at face value - a young filmmaker who joined Frameworks to connect with a larger film community. And saying that listservs are irrelevant to young people is like saying 16mm is irrelevant to them, which isn’t the case and is a little dangerous to assume, I think.

None of this is to defend someone who joins an email list and jumps off it immediately because of a single negative email. Many of the responses make good points, but they remind me of the Seinfeld episode where George obsesses over how he could have responded to a work colleague’s insult at a staff meeting, then goes to absurd lengths to re-create the confrontation so he can use the retort he comes up with.

Anyway, all this has turned our attention from problems at Millennium to problems with millennials, which I think are much less interesting and productive for us to be talking about. Is there any foundation to the original accusations? Is there anything we could do to improve things? To intervene? At the very least, is there a more objective account of what’s gone on at Millennium that we might be able to read and discuss?

Believe me, I like a good millennial smackdown, but I can’t help feeling that we’ve come off looking just a little silly on the back of this flare-up.
Just my two cents - best wishes to everyone.
Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Cinema