[Frameworks] Millennium Film Workshop

Sasha Janerus sasha.janerus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 04:16:26 UTC 2015

Thank you Dr. Walley. Thank you David.

It is worth noting that MFW has kept this document off their website.
Strictly speaking you're right about the "President" thing, which I'd
forgotten about--but it's really a technicality, as the title doesn't bring
any special powers. George was not elected to this or any other position,
but was . As I recall it, after Howard stepped down, a member-consensus
decision was made to keep the director off the board, and to have the ED be
appointed by the board. All of which makes good sense, especially given
everything that had transpired during the latter phase of the Gutenplan
period, though this emergency measure should have been ratified by a timely
revision of the bylaws. So "President" here is just an honorific--same
term, different meaning--so that the board looks the way boards are
supposed to look.

If only the board had acted the way a board's supposed to act.

One other quibble, David: the verb: "to Gerrymander" implies that elections
are in fact taking place. The *mot juste* would have been "to steal."

***

George,

I didn't receive your email as you didn't send one to me. Apparently the
fact that I don't agree with your failure to follow MFW's bylaws means that
I'm not to be counted a "Friend" of Millennium--or is it simply a friend of
yours? My partner, Stephanie Wuertz--who previously occupied your
office--did receive a copy but deleted it, wanting nothing to do with MFW
ever again. Another life you've touched. The email is, of course, also
posted on an orphan page on your site. How could I have missed that?

Your texts are, needless to say, mendacious in the extreme. Millennium
didn't pack up shop because the MoMA money was late. Millennium sank
because you and PK were incapable of providing financial information to go
with the grant narratives I wrote for you. When you did finally massage the
books into order, I'm pretty sure it involved making some shit up, in
particular Jay Hudson's undocumented ATM withdrawals.

Your claim to transparency is belied by the fact that nobody knows what's
going on at MFW and next to nobody cares, as well as by a prior email from
you instructing me 1) not to talk about MFW in public and 2) not to share
"confidential financial and other information without authorization,"
namely PK's insane budget for FY2014. I should note that PK had himself
informed me that all MFW documents--minutes, books, etc.--were available to
anyone who wanted to see them. And why not?: it belongs to its members and
to the community, and not to you.

If you'd like to have a discussion about Millennium's future, I'd encourage
you to do so in full view of your constituency, which I'm sure you'll agree
extends beyond present membership and self-selected "friends". Here are
some places to begin:

Could you put text of MFW's present bylaws on your website--preferably not
on an orphaned page.

How many active members does MFW presently have? How many of them do you
consider elligible to vote? How many lapsed members would you consider
eligible to vote upon renewal? According to what criteria?

How much cash does MFW have on hand?

What are its month-to-month expenses?

What were its FY2014 net income and expenditures, exclusive of the MoMA
money?

How much income did MFW receive from workshops and equipment rentals FY14?
How much profit on the same?

Has the board passed any resolutions to compensate Peter Kingsbury? If so,
for how much?

ON WHAT DATE, IN OCTOBER, IS A MEMBERS MEETING TO BE HELD?

Finally, there is the question of "slander." I was careful to frame certain
statements speculatively, and in your last email to me you enjoined me
to "desist
from broadcasting via Frameworks opinions and speculation that are not
based on facts." The present opacity of MFW makes a necessity of
speculation. I do, however, know these people. Lili, for instance,
attempted to program herself in a Millennium show at the New School, with a
$200 honorarium for a single film. Steph and I stepped in, and those with
conflicts of interest were replaced by Jen Reeves and Peter Hutton, among
others. Lili promptly one-upped herself by having her husband build
Millennium a website. MFW was stuck with unauthorized, recurring,
exorbitant paypal payments. The website Mark built was so shitty it had to
be replaced by the current shitty site.

MFW has furnished me with many more interesting anecdotes. And I should
note I have been a model of restraint insofar as I have not contacted or
the NY arts press, regulatory bodies, or your prospective funders. That
stance is subject to revision.

Yours in cinema

Sasha Janerus

PS I have a sneaking suspicion certain phrases in the trash you've been
sending out as "Outreach Coordinator" were derived, consciously or not,
from the grants and other fluff I wrote. It's the sort of vague,
pseudo-descriptive language that is meant to sound inspiring when the
situation is anything but.