[Frameworks] I'm a revolutionary

Warren Cockerham warrencockerham at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 14:30:04 UTC 2016

Gene,

I agree with your change. I put those words in quotes - the other
democratic candidate says that a lot. He doesn't go far enough in
describing the situation. But, it is refreshing to hear a presidential
candidate say that real change doesn't happen from the top down; it always
happens from the bottom up. I also realize electoral presidential politics
isn't revolutionary.

I used to teach at The Better Boys Foundation (BBF) in North Lawndale on
the west side of Chicago at 15th and Pulaski. I taught film and video there
for 5 years (2008-2012). That was the site that Fred started the Breakfast
for Children Program in Chicago with his Deputy Minister of Education,
Billy 'Che' Brooks. Billy was my colleague, friend, and supervisor for
those 5 years at BBF. In 2012, I screened Howard Alk and Mike Gray's *The
Murder of Fred Hampton*. By all accounts, it was the first time that film
screened publicly in that community. More than 100 people attended the
screening and stayed for a panel discussion with Billy, Jeff Haas, Flint
Taylor, and Bill Hampton. This was shortly after Flint Taylor led the
People's Law Office to convict that asshole, John Burge. At BBF, I
administered 7 other art and trade apprenticeships for teenagers in the
community. In 2011, we were worried that a new mayor would de-fund or pull
funding from Maggie Daley's After School Matters program which funded more
than half of our apprenticeships. I saw soon-to-be mayor Rahm Emanuel (Bye
Anita!) at a pizza place. I invited him to BBF to speak. We knew he was
going to win the election, so Billy and I wanted to make sure that funding
for after school programs would continue. He promised that it would and
that he would address it at the press conference he was holding there that
afternoon. Before the press conference, he came into my
office/classroom/studio. The place was decorated with posters that students
printed out: Fred Hampton, Hoop Dreams, The 400 Blows, Reservoir Dogs, and
Raging Bull among others. Guess which two posters Rahm praised... yep,
Reservoir Dogs and Raging Bull happen to he his favorite movies. He asked
me something like.. "your white, what can I do to fix race relations in
this city as mayor?" I said, you might start by publicly apologizing for
the assassination of Fred Hampton and commemorate Monroe St. as "Fred
Hampton Way." He said he didn't know a lot about it and he would read up on
it. We were interrupted by Billy and a group of board members.

I had some idea that he was going to be a terrible mayor. Who knew it was
going to be worse than little Daley and Boss Daley. Unbelievable corruption
and racism.