[Frameworks] film scanner (Scott Dorsey)

Zach Poff z at zachpoff.com
Fri Dec 2 16:52:18 UTC 2016

I made a DIY scanner for Cooper Union art School. We use it every day
and it looks great (1080p24 ProRes outputs, enough flexibility to do
color neg without difficulty). It involved a lot of tinkering but the
basic tech is nothing exotic: modified projector, diffused RGB LED
backlight, mirrorless still camera with live HDMI out, custom software
for control and capture. It's slow (about 4 fps) but it doesn't kill
mechanical DSLR shutters and it's been a game-changer for our students.
I wrote about it on my website [1].

(Sorry I don't have the time or materials to build one for others, but
I'm happy to share what I've learned!)

-Zach

Links:
------