[Frameworks] Annette Michelson and Peter Gidal

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Tue Feb 23 16:54:57 UTC 2016

On Feb 23, 2016, at 4:28 AM, Mark Webber <mark at MARKWEBBER.ORG.UK<mailto:mark at MARKWEBBER.ORG.UK>> wrote:

The Visible Press is about to publish a collection of writings by Peter Gidal titled “Flare Out: Aesthetics 1966–2016”, which I have also edited. Please see below for further information. The book does include Gidal’s letter to Artforum, alongside many other texts from the past 50 years. The full table of contents - and the possibility to order online (since we don’t have distribution) - are at http://www.thevisiblepress.com/flare-out/

This is good news!  Back in the day when people actually wrote letters on paper, made carbon copies,  and sent them to other physical places and beings, a lot of intersting discussion was going on.

Gidal, with his authoritative/authoritarian “rules” on politically correct images was probably the most famous mansplainer of his era.  Michelson was definitely the perfect adversary,  Well matched.

Chuck Kleinhans