[Frameworks] Shower scenes...

Amanda Christie amanda at amandadawnchristie.ca
Mon Jan 4 21:13:01 UTC 2016

your radio collage actually makes me think of an unfinished shower film that i have.

back in 2006, when i shot 3part harmony: composition in RGB #1... we had film stock left over, and sync sound gear (Arri SR2 and a DAT), and a lot of powerful lights.... and we were in a warehouse with a chemical safety shower in front of big windows overlooking the Vancouver skyline.... so I got into the shower with all my clothes on and sang a song while staring down the camera.... the image is framed wide with the vancouver skyline out the window, and my full body standing under the shower.... i think i started singing the song before pulling the lever to start the water.  it's about 1 or 2 minutes long.

it's tentatively called "shower song".

the film image is black and white 16mm negative.... I never decided whether to go BW positive print, or to introduce some colour through optical or contact printing.... might be best to keep it simple and stay black and white though.

the audio of the singing in the shower is on DAT, but I also transferred it to 16mm mag... .

in theory, i could easily just slap on a title and a countdown to the negative, and sync it with the 16mm mag stock and send it out for a print and call it finished.
I could finish it up in an hour. In theory...

but i haven't done that yet... i think it always felt too vulnerable and raw....  thanks for the reminder though!  i keep forgetting about that unfinished shower film.

seems a little silly to finish it now... although, i guess it's 2016... exactly 10 years after i shot it...
maybe now is the perfect time to put it together after all....