[Frameworks] Noteworthy Publications This Year?

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 18:03:12 UTC 2016

One of the marvelous things about this list is that revelations unfold when least expected. I now realize I must read Scott’s book  before I write the Calarts chapter of my memoirs. Herbert Blau and Robert Corrigan wanted to create a combination of the Bauhaus and Black Mountain. Of course you can’t plan things like that, but it was nevertheless in that spirit that they hired a former police reporter for a Hearst newspaper with only a high school education (myself) to teach alongside Alexander MacKendrick, Allan Kaprow, John Baldessari, Nam June Paik, Mel Powell, Bella Lewitzky, Pat O’Neill and numerous others of that caliber (they wanted to hire Herbert Marcuse, then at UCSD, but Roy Disney, no doubt already in shock, finally drew the line). You can imagine that for me the learning curve was straight up, and it remained that way during my entire tenure in that amazing environment.

Blau and Corrigan’s stated aim was to design “a radical educational model that favors independent artistic work over rigid curricula, collegial relationships among a community of artists over hierarchies of teacher and student, and continuous interaction among the different branches of the arts over the self-containment of each discipline.” A not uncommon aspiration in those days, but in the case of Calarts it was pretty much realized, at least in the early years. And speaking of those years, swimming wasn’t the only thing we did in the nude around the pool. Hence one of my favorite memories: Corrigan and a blue-haired potential benefactor suddenly rounding the corner to behold the spectacle of bodies, dope and sex. We ignored them and they turned around and fled. There went a million bucks, Corrigan told us in fury at an emergency faculty meeting, but I wasn’t fired and our pleasures didn’t cease.

Yes, it was an art school, but lest we imagine such things occured only in that context and only in those days, I tell the story of a student bringing a tray of dope brownies to my class at California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 1981, claiming it was a product of recombinant DNA experiments. We passed the tray around (given my life at Calarts it didn’t seem like a big deal), and the video art we watched that night was (undeservedly) mind-blowing, though I did have difficulty lecturing about it.  Luckily, I wasn’t arrested, but that wasn’t the only time I came within a hair’s breadth of reckless disaster. Would I do it again? You bet. No risk, no life.