[Frameworks] Texts / Works Bridging Early Cinema, Early Video, Early ___

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Thu Jan 14 13:03:20 UTC 2016

There is indeed a candle onscreen, though by the end of the film the image gets pretty hard to make out but the end - its legibility is already compromised by the speedy development process (the film was running at only a few frames per second out from the camera, over rollers, under doors, through processing/fixing/wiping off, and finally out into the room with the projector and screen). The purpose of the candle, as I understand it, was to “prove” that the nested images were created in real time, not the result of multiple optically-printed shots edited together. The candle burns uninterrupted as the images shift from positive to negative and back again, each new layer pushing the previous one(s) back into an ever-deepening nest of images, like a mirror tunnel.

My recollection is that the film was intended to make the film medium do something that another medium was said to do uniquely (i.e. feedback as a phenomenon unique to video, not to mention video’s immediacy, another trait often singled out in early texts on video art as something distinct to video).

[from the department of self-aggrandizement, I write about FF in “Identity Crisis…” in October 137).

Lots to say about the implications of this film for emerging critical discourses on video art and TV in the 1970s, and specifically the relationship between cinema and video, especially as the latter seems to have begun to distinguish itself from the blanket term “expanded cinema” (and just “cinema”) as the ‘70s wore on. I might have time later to expound/expand later (as if anyone cares).

JW

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Cinema