[Frameworks] film/thread

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Wed Jun 15 14:33:01 UTC 2016

Hello friends,

I’m a little embarrassed to ask this question, because in doing so I point up the shockingly disorganized state of both my archive and my mind. But it’s driving me crazy, so…

Within the past year, I saw (either online or in a book or journal) photo documentation of a film performance in which a length of thread (or string, or yarn) was loaded into a 16mm projector and projected. I can’t recall is this was a recent work or an older one (from the heyday of expanded cinema), but it was definitely a still image, not video documentation.

I know a lot of filmmakers have worked with the concept of film as thread/cinema as weaving, and this was along those lines (pardon my inability to escape the line/string/thread metaphors), but I cannot for the life of me recall who the filmmaker was or where I saw this bit of documentation.

If anyone can suggest names or filmmakers or works that might fit this bill, or at least lead me down the right rabbit hole, I’d be most grateful. I’ve been looking through all my materials but have had no luck recovering this, and am beginning to become…wait for it…unraveled.

Thank you all - best wishes,
Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor and Chair