[Frameworks] Sally Berger, film curator, fired at MoMA;

chris bravo iamdirect at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 14:55:03 UTC 2016

just to clarify, I brought up the vaxxed situation because it also seems
like a moment where a big powerful institution (tribeca) was held
accountable for a REALLY bad programming decision (including vaxxed in the
festival). It seems (on the outside) like a moment when tribeca recognized
that it needed to firm up its institutional character and to counter a
reactionary push from powerful autocrats (de niro).

i agree that there seems like way more to this story than we know. However,
yanking a film because (as far as we know) a hypothetical compromise of
MOMA's emails, is super bad programming. we are all in agreeance on that,
right?

institutional character matters.

"presents a different dilemma for MoMA than it does for Facets or Film
Forum"

not really. the right-wing lunatics have largely left culture off their
kill lists for the time being. (probably because they did such a good job
destroying public art in the 80's lol). Don't we want our cultural
institutions to hold themselves accountable and to be courageous? If this
were journalism, and a publication pulled a story because of outside
pressure, we would be going ballistic. With MoMA, I think you can argue, it
matters EVEN MORE because there is no accountability process, no
transparency. We have to TRUST that they acting as they should.

"due diligence"

is taking reasonable steps to protects your servers. (definitely not the
responsibility (or concern) of the film programmer)

:::::::www.murallamediaworks.com <http://murallamediaworks.com/>
:::::::*www.controldocumentary.com/ <http://www.controldocumentary.com/>*