[Frameworks] History question

Gutenko, Gregory GutenkoG at umkc.edu
Sun Jun 26 15:42:32 UTC 2016

Hello All,

A historical question:

What was the first film to do a time-exposed single-frame sequence from a car/driver POV?  Koyaanisqatsi popularized the effect in 1983, but when was it first done?  I worked on a student film in 1975 called Nervous on the Road that featured this technique at mid-point, but surely we weren't the first, were we?  You can check a very compressed file of Nervous out on Vimeo at
https://vimeo.com/25296928

When we did this we were going for the slit-scan look of the stargate sequence from 2001, but that was an animation process and we were doing real-world cinematography with a wind-up Bolex.  It won an award at a film festival in 1997 and was broadcast over four midwest PBS stations in 1980 and not shown since.

So who originated this effect?

Gregory Gutenko