[Frameworks] Peter Hutton

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 16:08:01 UTC 2016

I carry this indelible image of Peter: we were walking down a street on a blustery day here in Santa Fe, deep in passionate discussion, when we came upon a huge Cottonwood tree swaying majestically in the wind, as if in slow motion. It was an arresting sight. We paused for a while then walked on, me continuing the thought that had been interrupted, when I realized Peter wasn’t beside me. I turned around to see him a block behind, still standing where we had stopped. “Of  course,” I thought to myself, “that isn’t just anyone staring at the tree, that’s Peter Hutton, seeing it through the frame of all those shimmering films he has given us.” I walked back to join him and we stood in silence, transfixed by the Cottonwood’s great mass undulating like the surface of a rolling sea.

A year or so later, in 2007, Peter happened to be in Albuquerque for Bryan Konefsky’s Experiments in Cinema festival at the same time as my retirement party at the College of Santa Fe, so he was able to be there. I felt honored by his presence. I had shown his films for 36 of the 38 years I taught the history of experimental film, tracking the evolution of an artistic vision that epitomized our noble tradition. For me it was perfect closure. A photo is here: https://www.facebook.com/gene.youngblood.7 <https://www.facebook.com/gene.youngblood.7>