[Frameworks] (nostalgia) versions...

Dave Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:27:09 UTC 2016

> each segment has a slightly different length.

About ten years ago, I was showing (nostalgia) in class, pondering the duration of the shots, looking at a watch occasionally as the edits went by, and I had a kind of revelation: Each shot is a 100' load. I don't know if any one's written about that one way or the other, but (if true) it would be a kind of obvious conceptual match - one still photo burned shot with one spool of movie film.

Exposed and processed 100' loads only contain approximately the same amount of usable image. If HF loaded/unloaded under light, the leaks on the head and tail snipped off would be different, and even if he used a darkroom, getting the camera threaded will take up slightly different lengths off the head. Finally, depending on where he got the stock, 100' loads might not be exactly 100', or exactly the same.

So, the algorithm component wouldn't be 'each shot is [X} feet' or '[X] duration on screen', but 'each shot is all the usable footage that came out of one load of an MOS camera'. Quite elegant, if that's indeed what it is...