[Frameworks] LaborBerlin 2.0 - FILM AIN'T DEAD

Bernard Roddy tactilecorpus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:53:36 UTC 2016

The death of art has been declared since Hegel.

But film is indeed dead outside of experimental cinema.  Or no, I should
say, it is now more appropriate to think about in terms of scriptwriting
and visual culture, not as an individual art practice.  Something like that.

After the Onion City screening, I went to a show of the European film
festival at the Gene Siskel.  The questions I found myself asking as I
endured the first hour of "The Paradise Suite" were not about film stocks,
labs, or exhibition opportunities for 16 mm work.  The audience was, by
comparison, upscale and the screening included attendance by an African
actor who plays a part in the film.  I really don't like the cinema, not
even the Varda that screened at Chicago Filmmakers (Kung Fu Fighter), but
it raises questions about society that we cannot ignore, questions that
have virtually nothing to do with film as an art form.  The Paradise Suite
struck me as the kind of cinema that the illiterate will make when they get
wind of the advantages of social justice themes.  It used to be that the
narrative cinema thought about withholding information from what is
visualized.  But the Paradise Suite relished the opportunity to show, for
example, a rape.  There were probably five rapes before I left, all of the
very realistically represented.  It's as if the filmmaker is himself from
the same stock as the pimps who do this raping, as if the cinema gave him
the opportunity to engage in this.  It's not as if we are learning about
the prostitution trade in Amsterdam.  I mean, this is meat-head cinema.
And it's the Gene Siskel.

Bernie