[Frameworks] recording audio from a Pageant

Dave Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:02:36 UTC 2016

> Those things have transformers inside them... not very good transformers, but transformers nonetheless.

Yeah, the quality varies. I've used some that worked fine. The thing is they're not THAT cheap, you still might need an attenuator, and the Rolls direct box is priced right at $25. I haven't tried it out myself, but someone on this list reported it does the trick. The only reasons I can see to go with something else is if you already have the isolation cable on hand, or you need to get the connection up in a hurry, faster than you can receive the Rolls direct box ordering online.

> I've had very good results merely plugging in a 1/4 to xlr unbalanced to balanced adapter and plugging the other end directly into my Canon xh a1 camera.

This probably works because:
1. running the camera off the battery eliminates the possibility of a ground loop.
2. the XH-A1 pre-amp is forgiving

It's a good note though if you only need occasional audio recording, as a simple cable with the camera running on battery power is cheap and easy enough to be worth a try if straight capture is all you need.

An XH-A1 will also serve as DIY telecine with a conventional 3 blade projector if you use the 24F setting (which can be tweaked for precise sync in the menus to match minor differences between projector speeds and exact 24). So no need for a 5-blade. [I have done this successfully and with no problems using exactly an XH-A1 and a Pageant, so it's not just 'should work in concept'.] Just don't tell Jeff you're going DIY, and/or promise that if the footage is really valuable you'll get it scanned with a Kinetta. ;-)

HOWEVER, if you need/want to put any AC powered audio component in the chain, you'll likely have a ground loop problem (not that it hurts to check if you're not running valuable film in the projector). And even on batteries, your video camera's pre-amp may not be as chill with the impedance mis-match as Sean's XH-A1.