[Frameworks] Film/video programers/curators and campus film screenings

JB Mabe jb.mabe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:12:08 UTC 2016

In my first weeks of college in 1999 at Winthrop University in Rock
Hill, SC I formed an informal film club and held screenings programmed
mostly from the library's collection or my criterion laserdiscs (first
screening was Oscar Micheuax's Within Our Gates). When I transferred
to the University of South Carolina in 2001, I joined the more formal
"Cinematic Arts" committee that programmed out of the Russell House
(where I was also the projectionist with a crappy 35mm platter and an
Eiki 16mm). Some folks might be familiar with the Russell House from
the early days of the Orphan Film Symposium. The budget for student
programming was ridiculously generous (I think due the very popular
football program and university merchandising - Go Gamecocks), and
once per semester I was able to spend about $1000 for a weekend's
worth of programming. Sometimes I'd rent beat up Maurice Pialat prints
from New Yorker (I think), and sometimes I'd rent a ton of stuff from
FMC and Canyon. After college, I did a lot of independent programming,
made my own films, cofounded spaces and festivals, and now I'm in my
first professional programming position at Chicago Filmmakers and the
Onion City Film Festival. That's the short version, anyway.