[Frameworks] subtitle question

Amanda Christie amanda at amandadawnchristie.ca
Thu May 12 19:50:11 UTC 2016

Quick question.

So I'm starting on the subtitles for Spectres of Shortwave
(using SubCap in Avid on an effects layer)

Outputting to DCP cinemascope (not anamorphic) 2k
2048x858

I'm looking to find the ideal or standard (and I can deviate from that)... for subtitle font, size, and number of characters per line.

My google searches seem to reveal 40 characters (including spaces per line)
42 point font (ah!  the answer to life the universe and everything, how nice!)

I'm currently laying it out in 42 point Verdanna, keeping it under 40 characters per line... but it looks like I could fit so many more characters and still be in the safe zone!

Any advice or suggestions in terms of font, size, and character count for subtitling 2k cinemascope?

Thanks!

Amanda Dawn Christie
506-871-2062
www.amandadawnchristie.ca