[Frameworks] This week in avant garde cinema subscription notice

Scott Stark sstark at hi-beam.net
Sun May 22 13:54:29 UTC 2016

Hi all, you may have noticed a message to Frameworks regarding
subscribing to This Week in Avant Garde Cinema. For as long as
Frameworks has been around, I (and a handful of other volunteers) have
been posting TWIAGC to Frameworks. A year or so ago I started using
MailChimp, which allows for nicer formatting (including photos) and
makes managing the list of subscribers a lot easier. Many of you have
responded positively to the change.

The problem is that the TWIAGC message contains an "unsubscribe" link
at the bottom. For individual users this is great, but the version
sent to the Frameworks list means that *anyone* can click that link,
thinking they are unsubscribing for themselves but inadvertently
unsubscribing the Frameworks email address itself
(frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com). That means nobody wanting to see the
message on Frameworks will see TWIAGC. (And MailChimp does not have
any way to prevent that from happening for an individual email
account.)

I have no problem with folks subscribing and unsubscribing to the list
on their own - that's the nice thing about MailChimp. All I can do is
ask that if you want to unsubscribe from TWIAGC, make sure the email
is *NOT* the one from Frameworks (it'll have [Frameworks] in its
subject). This means, of course, that you continue to see TWIAGC if
you're still subscribed to Frameworks. The two lists are not
connected.

On the other hand, if a majority of Frameworks folks would prefer not
to see TWIAGC posted to Frameworks, I'm happy to remove it and
encourage everyone who wants to see it to subscribe separately. To
subscribe, go to http://eepurl.com/ba_wZf [1].

Both TWIAGC and Frameworks have been around since 1995 (21 years!),
and the former now has nearly 700 individual subscribers. In fact, one
of the very first posts (maybe the 3rd?) to Frameworks was TWIAGC,
listing events for the week of November 3, 1995.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, and I welcome your thoughts.

Scott Stark
www.scottstark.com [2]
Experimental Response Cinema [3]
Flicker [4]