[Frameworks] Experimental Christmas films

Dave Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 00:50:18 UTC 2016

> The first film I'm thinking of is: Xmas on earth by  Barbara Rubin ( 1963)

It’s a great piece, not really a ‘film’ but a two-projector performance…

But it’s not really about Christmas, and it might not be the best choice for "an audience which will include people who have little to no experience viewing experimental film” since it’s in inner image of people wearing g full body makeup performing a variety of sex acts, inside an outer frame of a handheld camera moving in out and around a close up of a woman’s vagina.

That really ought to be mentioned in any recommendation, I think.

I don’t have any films to suggest myself off the top of my hat, but I’d suggest playing the Residents as the audience comes into the screening room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FX8rAEAtUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF19pIjgYRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ytmrHLYNps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C50bKOslmjc