[Frameworks] 16mm projector sales in Germany/Europe? + wide angle 16mm projector lens questions

Benj Gerdes benj at clnswp.org
Fri Nov 25 19:31:24 UTC 2016

Dear list,

I have an exhibition coming up in January where the institution has decided it's better to buy than rent a 16mm projector. This is for a looper (which I own) so I’m looking for sales of Eiki/Elf in Germany or elsewhere in Europe I could recommend to them. I searched the archives but didn’t find anything recent on this topic. Can anyone recommend a good shop or repair person who sells good working condition projectors in Germany or nearby?

Second, I have in the past rented or borrowed 16mm wide angle projector lenses for museum exhibitions, but know they can really vary in quality (and can be very expensive), especially compared to the longer throw 50mm standard lenses. Since in this case it’s for purchase, I have a few specific questions if anyone can help:

	-In the past some folks have discussed putting a magnifying element in front of a 50mm lens. How does this compare optically to using a dedicated WA projector lens?

	-Also in the past, can’t find it in the archives but someone mentioned using a re-housed Super8 lens. I have a decent lens from one of the top of line Elmo super8 projectors, any advice about rehousing this if you’ve done it?

	-Can anyone who might have used them tell me if the Bauer 24mm or 35-65mm zoom projector lenses are decent quality? I’ve only used Bauer super8 equipment, but these are both apparently available to the institution at the moment for purchase in 	Germany.

I’m arranging this from the US so it’s hard to test! Thanks in advance for any tips.

Thanks,
Benj