[Frameworks] 2017 Big Ears Festival: Call for film submissions

Paul Harrill paul at publiccinema.org
Wed Oct 5 18:58:48 UTC 2016

Dear Frameworkers -

This is an exciting email to send:

The acclaimed BIG EARS festival — which Brooklyn Magazine called “the avant-garde SXSW”, and which Rolling Stone calls “America’s premiere avant-garde gathering" — is announcing its first-ever open call for film submissions.

Though it is well established as one of the most acclaimed and eclectic music festivals in the country, the last two editions of the festival have featured more and more cinema. Artists like Laurie Anderson, Bill Morrison, Jodie Mack, and Shambhavi Kaul, among many others, have visited the festival and shared their work through retrospectives, premiere screenings, performances, and installations.

The Public Cinema is now in its second year curating and expanding the cinematic offerings at Big Ears, and we are happy to invite submissions for next year’s film program.

It is FREE to submit your film. You may submit via an online form found here: http://www.publiccinema.org/submit

We are especially interested in film/video work that would be a World, North American, USA, or Southeast regional premiere in March 2017. Regardless of premiere status, we are excited to consider any work that might be appropriate for the festival.

The dates for Big Ears are March 23-26, 2017. We hope you will consider sharing your work with us, and we invite you to share this announcement with anyone that might be interested!

Thank you,

Paul Harrill & Darren Hughes
The Public Cinema

ps. If you are unfamiliar with Big Ears here are some articles that will give you a good sense of the festival:

Rolling Stone
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/big-ears-expands-to-four-days-announces-64-performances-w443384

Brooklyn Magazine
http://www.bkmag.com/2016/04/11/big-ears-2016/