[Frameworks] new website for irish experimental film!

Bernard Roddy tactilecorpus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:52:01 UTC 2016

I'm pasting some content provided by the site, MExIndex below.  The post to
Frameworks reminded me of a book I have had in mind to buy, Performance Art
in Ireland:

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/P/bo20282727.html

The question I opened the post with was, roughly, I wonder whether there is
an appreciation of the importance of performance art and, hence video, in
this project.  How does "experimental" translate into "film" when it serves
to support the development of new resources for the preservation and
dissemination of work?

I had in mind a couple of Irish performance artists, actually, one whom I
saw do a performance in a window of the red light district in Amsterdam,
the other of whom I saw do a performance at annual PAErsche Essen, event,
and who I believe was a featured artist at the Irish Museum of Modern Art
in Dublin within the past few years.

It's nice to see a statement like this, I guess.  There is this conviction
in Europe, it seems, that reminds me of the "professional" student office
holders at the University of Buffalo's graduate student organization.
These guys were business types and it was never very clear what running for
office meant for them, but they were always talking about transparency, as
if they were absolved of questions just because it was all made public.

What I would expect in the statement of criteria provided below is a
growing archive of a certain kind.  And what we could also expect is a
certain neglect of theoretical questions about the function of archives, or
more specifically, the politics of, for example, the discourse of experts
and so on.

Bernie

- - - - - - - - - -

Standards & Guidelines

The vision for MExIndex is to create a platform that encourages the
discovery of visual arts-based and experimental moving image work by Irish
and Ireland-based artists in the form of an index that is both searchable
and sustainable To achieve this it is vital to ensure that the information
accumulated about these works is documented in a consistent and transparent
way. This has been done by creating and employing a set of guidelines that
helps to decide what needs to be documented and how.

Rather than devise rules from scratch about how to approach this task, we
went about adapting existing documentation standards that were created by
experts in the field of information science. This meant that we could
employ a tried and tested set of freely available standards that ensured
that our guidelines are sustainable and easy to maintain. It also means
that the information we accumulate is potentially shareable across other
platforms.

MExIndex employs recommended standards published by the Library of Congress
and its guidelines are closely based on the internationally recognised
PBCore standard. The standard is closely based on Dublin Core, the
recommended standard of the Digital Repository of Ireland which is a
national service for the long-term digital preservation of Ireland’s
humanities, social science, and cultural heritage resources.

We are indebted to Anja Mahler, Digital Collections Management Officer at
the IFI Irish Film Archive, for her collaboration in  devising the present
format which is specific to moving image and also covers experimental
sub-categories.

The core information we have decided to account for can be divided into
four categories:

   - Information to identify the moving image work
   *Title, Creator, Date, Medium, Description*
   - Content classification information to ease retrieval and
   identification of the moving image work
   *Genre, Form, Subject*
   - Details describing technical aspects of the moving image work
   *Language, Original Format, Duration, Aspect Ratio, Sound, Colour*
   - Reference and rights information to aid access to the moving image work
   *Link to work or excerpt of work, Link to Artist Website, Rights*

MExIndex guidelines are closely based on the PB Core Metadata standard, a
set of core elements, published by the Public Broadcasting Metadata
Dictionary Project.  This documentation standard is closely based on the
widely adapted Dublin Core Metadata standard, created by the Dublin Core
Metadata Initiative but is more tailored to the needs of moving image.  To
format the content of the metadata elements we have followed
recommendations by PB Core and The International Federation of Film
Archives (FIAF), the International Standards Organisation (ISO) and the
Library of Congress (LOC).

We currently document this information both in the form of a spreadsheet
and a database. Here we have laid the foundation for a schematic approach
by assigning each label to its equivalent according to the PB Core
standard. Additionally we accumulate administrative information such as who
collected the information and when.

If you are interested in finding out more about the standards and
guidelines we have applied in building MExIndex please find further details
in the pdf attached below or contact us directly.

MExIndex Guidelines Version 1.0
<http://www.mexindex.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/MExIndex-Guidlines-Version_1.0.pdf>
(pdf,
71kb)

– Fifi Smith (Director of MExIndex), Alice Butler (2016 Curator in
Residence, MExIndex) & Anja Mahler (Digital Collections Management Officer,
IFI Irish Film Archive) August 2016