[Frameworks] Motion graphics title using slit-scan....

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Mon Oct 31 19:31:01 UTC 2016

If anyone really wants to geek out on slit-scan
madness, of course the apex of the art came quite
early with Doug Trumbull's stargate corridor
sequence for 2001. This was an extremely baroque
studio setup with multiple moving planes of
room-sized artwork, front and back lighting,
motion control, and, of course, slit scan photography.

In 2002, someone extracted the original
production artwork by unwrapping the edited film footage:

http://seriss.com/people/erco/2001/

Nowadays live-action style slit scan is super
easy to accomplish with After Effects and other
2D applications. And of course, many of the
slit-scan classics (such as the Dr. Who main
title) are much more easily accomplished with 3D software.

Aaron