[Frameworks] 40 years of VHS - short video recommendations?

John McAndrew jj.mcandrew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:36:11 UTC 2016

Hi Richard,

For a screening of abstract video/digital works I programmed at Leeds
International Film Festival in 2011 called "Destructural Video", I screened
an excerpt from Neil Gravander's video "Improvisations for Hand-Spun Video
Springer"; the artist modified a VCR so that tapes could be played
backwards and forwards at varying speeds like a tape reel or turntable. For
me, it brought to mind the stuttering film work of Martin Arnold and the
laserdisc experiments of Raphael MontaƱez Ortiz, but using domestic video
equipment. Video link here: https://vimeo.com/81828111

The screening came about by the way from my research into medium-specific
video art for my undergraduate degree - I was very interested in the glitch
art movement happening then and trying to find similarities with early
artists' video and structuralist/structuralist film aesthetics. It's still
a subject that interests me - if I think of more examples that are
specifically related to the VHS format itself (rather than other consumer
video formats), I'll let you know.

John