[Frameworks] Optical soundtracts at Colorlab - all good?

Jeff Kreines jeff at kinetta.com
Fri Sep 23 20:15:14 UTC 2016

Colorlab is very serious about optical sound.  They have a modernized 16mm Westrex recorder with the latest electronics, and also a 35mm Westrex recorder that does stereo — including Dolby SR, and Digital Dolby (if you can pay the Dolby license fee).

I’ve been there a few times, and am always impressed.

BTW, 16mm optical tracks are the AM-Radio of film sound.  They can sound great, but you have a limited dynamic range and on a good day (projector-dependent) you might get 75-6000Hz.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta