[Frameworks] Experimental Animation Film Scripts (Bernard Roddy)

Ruth Hayes randomruth at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 03:46:58 UTC 2017

Kit Laybourne’s The Animation Book and Maureen Furniss’  The Animation Bible both show thumbnail storyboards or diagrams for several experimental animated films, including George Griffin’s “Head” (this one is essentially a flow chart). The question of what constitutes “experimental” is critical, as Bernie notes. Some animations are experimental in their approach, dispensing with storyboarding, others experiment with genre, technique, etc.. So the script might simply be directions for proceeding without reference to image content or dialog or voice over.

Wells’ and Quinn’s Drawing for Animation, Clare Kitson’s monograph on Norstein’s Tale of Tales, Corrie Francis Parks’ Fluid Frames, and Amid Amidi’s Cartoon Modern might also provide good examples of experimental animation process documents.

Ruth

http://www.randommotion.com
blogs.evergreen.edu/hayesr