[Frameworks] San Francisco Video Store

Dave Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 02:55:48 UTC 2017

Björn"

For non-blockbuster cinema on optical disc in SF, check Amoeba on Haight (near Stanyan and GG Park). They have as good a browsing selection as you’ll find in the US (since Mondo Kim’s is no more). There isn’t much experimental stuff on disc of any kind, much less BluRay, so Ken’s right that you can find more online. But I used to enjoy looking through the sections of Classic, Foreign, Cult, Documentary, etc. there, and I sometimes find titles I’d never have thought to look for online. They often have used copies of Criterion releases, imports sometimes, and some bootlegs (not that the quality of those is any good), though nothing is exactly cheap there.

Not all that far from there, you might also check out Green Apple Books, which has a smaller new/used video selection, but is also eclectic and “non-blockbuster” oriented. Green Apple also bought out the last ‘art/foreign’ video rental house in SF (Le Video) and opened some kind of video thing at the old Le Video location, though I’ve not been there and am not clear on what’s there exactly.