[Frameworks] Painting directly to film

Myron Ort zeno at sonic.net
Fri Dec 1 20:19:51 UTC 2017

Norman McLaren  to my knowledge made mostly very “figure” based  imagery (often cute). Len Lye  was more to my liking, however he still was making figurative based gestures dancing around to music. I was narrowing my question down to (extended) “abstract expressionist” film painting, rather than the more general area of camerless filmmaking overall. Man Ray also pioneered some techniques in this realm but I was referring more to “expressionist” style film painting that would later become  something Stan Brakhage explored extensively, however never without asserting that there was a correlative metaphoric quasi “narrative" involved. Later he would call it “moving visual thinking”.

> On Dec 1, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Kit Basquin <kitbasquin at aol.com> wrote:
>
> Norman McLaren, who was from Scotland but worked for the Canadian Film Board most of his life.

Myron Ort
www.zeno-okeanos,com