[Frameworks] FLEX revival // FLEX is moving to Tampa, FL!

Warren Cockerham warrencockerham at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 19:21:44 UTC 2017

Hi Frameworkers!

I have a brief (and very early!) enthusiastic note to deliver to all
FLEXfest lovers. I've been working with Roger Beebe (FLEX founder and
artistic director 04-'13) and Alisson Bittiker (with FLEX since '05 and
artistic director '13 - '16) on reviving FLEXfest here in Florida. We are
in the very early stages of moving the festival to Tampa, FL.   I'm aiming
for a call for entries sometime this coming May for a festival in spring of
'19 in the Tampa/ St. Pete area.

FLorida EXperimental !!

I remember the first ever evening of FLEXfest programs in Gainesville put
on by Roger (and Jodie Mack, Maggie Tuttle, Lisa Danker, and the original
FLEX team) back in 2004. Growing up in rural Florida, that first FLEXfest
seriously changed my life. Rob Todd's STABLE, Bill Brown's MOUNTAIN STATE,
and (definitely!) Christopher Harris' RECKLESS EYEBALLING were all eye and
brain-opening standouts from that first night of programming. The last
evening of programs that year kicked off with ALTITUDE ZERO by Lauren Cook
and THE ART OF KNOWING by David Gatten. In between those bookends were
juror screenings by Naomi Uman and Tony Gault. I volunteered in '05
(Deborah Stratman, Bill Brown, and Scott Stark) and in 06' - the first time
I ever fucked up a Ben Russell film projection, but not the last...
actually, it was BR's fault. But the hits from that evening were the Craig
Baldwin juror programs.

In recent years, I've been involved in some other programming work - spent
lots of time with Bryan Wendorf working on Chicago Underground (CUFF),
three large-scale Luther Price exhibitions in Vermont, NYC, and Chicago. I
ran a rag-tag, unofficial screening series in Bennington, VT. And about
three years ago, I toured the New England Home Movie Tour.
http://www.newenglandhomemovietour.com/    and other independent curatorial
adventures.

The FLEX revival is in its infancy but I wanted to put the word out now to
spark some excitement and interest. I'm thrilled and motivated to keep FLEX
rolling. It was a very NEEDED public program in Florida and I know there
are dozens of people on this list that encountered their first truly
alternative/ counter-cultural cinematic gems in Gainesville, Florida thanks
to FLEX, Roger, Alisson, and company.  Tampa and the surrounding area are
in need of and primed for a culture revolution here too. Hopefully, other
revolutions to come!

more soon...

the very warmest from Tampa, FL...
Warren Cockerham