[Frameworks] Painting directly to film

Robert Withers withersr at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 23:48:27 UTC 2017

Hi all,
I am bemused by this topic since the questioner specifically referred to "abstract expressionist" painting on film There have been a lot of painters on film including myself, and kids I taught in film class.
But I've never been aware of a painter on film who wasn't inspired specifically by the traditions and techniques of experimental or animated film, and the very technology of motion picture film itself.

Abstract expressionists were very self-conscious of their specific practice (I don't remember who named the style). With the big expressionistic body-gestures it seems to have little to do with the careful, miniaturistic practices of painters on film, no matter how free the projected image looked. I fondly remember Brakhage's Persian Series which he created with a lightbox and painting kit on the tables of a Colorado Cafe.

Maybe art historians of the future will link all free abstract images as "abstract expressionism" but I don't think so.

Cheers,
Robert

WithersWorks.com
202 West 80th St. #5W