[Frameworks] optical sound film screening

Ryder White ryder.white at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 18:53:43 UTC 2017

Maybe it falls outside your curatorial criteria but Norman McLaren's "Pen
Point Percussion" is a good overview of his approach to the process:
https://www.nfb.ca/film/pen_point_percussion/

His "Dots" is a good illustration of that technique in use.

Ryder

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:43 AM mrktosc <mrktosc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Primary Stimulus by Robert Russett
>
> the Chromesthetic Response Series films by Scott Stark
>
> No Art of Memory by James Otis
>
> Dresden Dynamo and Light Music by Lis Rhodes
>
> Persian Pickles (and others) by Jodie Mack
>
> Photogrammetry Series by Louis Hock
>
> -Mark Toscano
>
> On Mar 2, 2017, at 5:27 AM, Peter Szely <szely at ima.or.at> wrote:
>
> hello all,
>
> my name is peter szely from ima, institute for media archeology.
>
> feel free to check out our website www.ima.or.at
>
>  I have a question:
>
> ima always set itself a yearly topic in our work.
>
> this years topic is optical sound.
>
> we plan to have workshops and concerts dealing with optical sound, and we
> also plan to hav a film screening  of movies.
>
> we are interested in movies where the sound comes from manipulations and
> treatments such as drawing or scratching directly on the celluloid,
>
> do you have any recommendations of fine pieces of film working like this?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> best szely
> Peter Szely
> szely at ima.or.at
> IMA / Institut für Medienarchäologie
> Heinrich-Schneidmadl-Straße 15
> 3100 St. Pölten
> Tel: 0043 6991 9561906

Sent from mobile device, please forgive typographic errors. -RTW