[Frameworks] Films that question truth

Ann Deborah Levy adlevy at resonantimages.com
Sat May 6 16:42:33 UTC 2017

Hi Morgan,

My film “WATERSCAPE: illusions” is about myth and reality and creates an illusion (deception) that is gradually exposed.  Here is a description:

“WATERSCAPE: illusions” is a meditation on myth and reality. The setting of this self-reflexive film is the surface of a mysterious wilderness lake, its reflected surroundings, and its swans.  Off-screen voices personify the thoughts of a woman making a film and serve as the focus for an exploration of how reality is distorted as it is filtered through the human mind in art, mythology, and science.  The filmmaker reads from her shooting diary; girls recount swan myths; a scholar discusses swan symbolism; and “experts” from across history ponder whether swans sing at death. These scenarios interweave throughout but do not intersect.  As they play out against the escapades of the real swans, lines between illusion and truth blur.

The film, itself, as document of reality, becomes suspect when its wilderness environment is exposed as a suburban setting; the voice we’ve assumed is the filmmaker’s turns out to belong to an actress; what appears to take place over a calendar year, proves from diary entry dates, to take place over several; and decisions made in the course of filming reveal themselves as subjective choices.  Filmmaking is “myth-making” as much as the fairy tales told about swans throughout.

 (rt: 52 minutes, original format 16mm, in color and black and white, with sound)

If you are interested in seeing it, please contact me off list.

Ann