[Frameworks] Phase flicker and print timing?

George Monteleone georgemonteleone at gmail.com
Tue May 9 17:45:31 UTC 2017

Yeah, I was thinking most film printing technology probably predates this
problem becoming common.  Was just curious if there was some kind of stock
"frame-by-frame sine wave" flicker setting on printer lights to cancel
phasing, haha.  At a certain point, engineering a solution to this problem
ends up equaling the time and expense of a proper reshoot.

Frankly a camera with an adjustable shutter angle at the source is the far
more reasonable solution.  The problem went away at 12 fps, larger shutter
angle probably fixes it at 24.   Digital fix would work but Filmouts are
expensive too.

I've found / read HMI / flourescent / streetlight phasing isn't always a
problem on a Bolex, but it's a real crapshoot, pretty much impossible to
predict without a test at the location or just using a more sophisticated
camera with reliable monitoring, flicker control hardware and stuff.