[Frameworks] major US and international exhibitions of experimental film, video, moving image art?

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Thu May 18 20:28:07 UTC 2017

So just installed exhibitions that are broad surveys?

Hall of Mirrors: Art and Film Since 1945
At MOCA (Los Angeles) in 1998

From:  Ben Ogrodnik <ben.ogrodnik at gmail.com>
Date:  Thu, 18 May 2017 16:04:00 -0400
To:  "Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com>"
<frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com>
Subject:  [Frameworks] major US and international exhibitions of
experimental film, video, moving image art?

Hi all,

I'm interested in gathering a list of film/video-based art exhibitions in
the United States, UK, Europe and rest of the world.  I was wondering if
anyone might have suggestions of any exhibitions (recent or old) that were
focused on a broad survey of moving image art.

Obviously many exhibitions, such as documenta or the Venice Biennale, have
exhibited some form of moving images or experimental media. But for my
purposes, I'm interested only in shows that focus on the moving image as the
central theme, not as a component of a larger thematic whole.

An example might be the recent show at the Whitney Museum, Dreamlands:
Immersive Cinema and Art, 1905-2016 or Into the Light: The Projected Image
in American Art, 1964-1977, both curated by Chrissie Iles. Another example
of this on a much smaller scale would be Renegades: American Avant-Garde
Film, 1960-1973, at the Walker Center of the Arts.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks so much.
Sincerely,
Ben

--