[Frameworks] Desktop documentary/essay/narrative

John Muse jmuse at sonic.net
Tue Oct 24 23:28:12 UTC 2017

Hive mind!  I’m looking for films that use the desktop and the graphical user interface as the ground and foundation for essays, documentaries, narrative films.  Below is my preliminary list of films.  Please share works that either take the desktop environment for granted, critically engage with it as a space and temporal structure, or use it occasionally but incisively.  What interests me most: how the window, pop-up, drag and drop, double-click, etc. create new editing protocols and rules.  Or how they ruin everything good and right and holy about film.

So far I’m thinking about:

Camille Henrot Grosse Fatigue (2013)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Henrot

Patrick Cederberg & Walter Woodman, Noah (2013)
https://vimeo.com/65935223

Nick Briz: Apple Computers (2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GyvH3LApDI

Kevin B. Lee, Transformers: The Premake (2014)
https://vimeo.com/94101046

Theo Anthony: Spirit Guide - Night Tremors Mix (2013)
http://www.theoanthony.net/installation/2014/1/21/spirit-guide-night-tremors-mix-2013

Evan Meaney: Big Sleep (2015)
http://evanmeaney.com/bigsleep/#start

Sondra Perry: Lineage for a Multiple-Monitor Workstation: Number One (2015)
https://vimeo.com/131805970

j/PrM

john muse
visual media scholar