[Frameworks] Desktop documentary/essay/narrative

Pablo de Ocampo pablodeocampo at front.bc.ca
Thu Oct 26 18:40:12 UTC 2017

John

Though it's not exactly a desktop doc, I always thought Herman
Asselberghs *Dear
Steve* would make an interesting prologue/epilogue/counterpoint to this new
genre of work:

http://www.augusteorts.be/projects/48/dear-steve

Pablo

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 4:28 PM, John Muse <jmuse at sonic.net> wrote:

> Hive mind!  I’m looking for films that use the desktop and the graphical
> user interface as the ground and foundation for essays, documentaries,
> narrative films.  Below is my preliminary list of films.  Please share
> works that either take the desktop environment for granted, critically
> engage with it as a space and temporal structure, or use it occasionally
> but incisively.  What interests me most: how the window, pop-up, drag and
> drop, double-click, etc. create new editing protocols and rules.  Or how
> they ruin everything good and right and holy about film.
>
> So far I’m thinking about:
>
> Camille Henrot Grosse Fatigue (2013)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Henrot
>
> Patrick Cederberg & Walter Woodman, Noah (2013)
> https://vimeo.com/65935223
>
> Nick Briz: Apple Computers (2013)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GyvH3LApDI
>
> Kevin B. Lee, Transformers: The Premake (2014)
> https://vimeo.com/94101046
>
> Theo Anthony: Spirit Guide - Night Tremors Mix (2013)
> http://www.theoanthony.net/installation/2014/1/21/spirit-
> guide-night-tremors-mix-2013
>
> Evan Meaney: Big Sleep (2015)
> http://evanmeaney.com/bigsleep/#start
>
> Sondra Perry: Lineage for a Multiple-Monitor Workstation: Number One (2015)
> https://vimeo.com/131805970
>
> j/PrM

> john muse
> visual media scholar
> haverford college
> he/him/his
> http://www.finleymuse.com
> http://www.haverford.edu/faculty/jmuse
> http://haverford.academia.edu/JohnMuse

Pablo de Ocampo

Exhibitions Curator

Western Front

303 East 8th Avenue

Vancouver BC V5T 1S1

Canada

T. +1.604.876.9343

F. +1.604.876.4099

E. pablodeocampo at front.bc.ca

W. www.front.bc.ca

*on view:*
Another time, this time, one time | Steffani Jemison + Justin Hicks
<https://front.bc.ca/events/another-time-this-time-one-time/> | September
22 - October 28, 2017

*coming up:*
apparatus for the circulation of Indigenous voices and ideas into the air |
Duane Linklater
<https://front.bc.ca/events/apparatus-for-the-circulation-of-indigenous-voices-and-ideas-into-the-air/>