[Frameworks] High resolution enlargements from 16mm prints

Seth Mitter seth.mitter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 02:29:22 UTC 2017

Dear Frameworks,

I'm working on a project with Canyon Cinema to create a frame enlargement
setup in-house to create high resolution digital images from 16mm prints
(both single frames and frame sequences). I'm hoping to hear from anyone
who has experience or expertise in creating a setup that produced excellent
digital images for large format printing. Capability to focus and resolve
grain in 16mm prints is critical, as well as producing files equivalent to
4K pixel dimensions (or higher).

As an example I've recently been impressed by the quality of the Peter
Hutton Film Stills exhibited at Shoshanna Wayne Gallery:
http://shoshanawayne.com/peter-hutton-film-stills/43inytqgn0w6pule0fc1clu8xltuwg
(if anyone knows who worked on producing these enlargements I'd love to get
in contact).

I'm aware of methods using consumer flatbed document scanners but have
never been satisfied with results. I've heard of (but never tried) using
special 16mm dimension slide duplicator mounts for 35mm slr cameras - I
imagine this only worked for single frame enlargements, not frame
sequences. Buying a 4k films scanner definitely isn't in the budget either.

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated.

-Seth