[Frameworks] Forwarded from Massart Faculty

Ed Halter hey at edhalter.com
Wed Apr 11 23:28:13 UTC 2018

Hey Frameworks

Felt I should share this announcement that was forwarded to me from the
Massart faculty.

------------

TO THE MASSART COMMUNITY:

The faculty and staff of the Film/Video department demand that Professor
Saul Levine stop his
lies about recent events at Mass Art and his cyber-bullying against his
colleagues.

It is because of Professor Levine’s very public attacks and
misrepresentations that we feel
obliged to correct his version of the complaints against him.

He has bullied his colleagues and created an abusive working environment
over many years.

He has derailed and destroyed important discussions about urgent
departmental and curricular
issues.

This is NOT an issue of academic freedom. No one at Mass Art made any
effort to censor or
punish Professor Levine for screening his film or any other film he has
shown over the years.
No one forced him to retire.The decision to retire is entirely Professor
Levine’s.

We recognize Professor Levine as a brilliant artist and programmer and are
thankful for his
contributions to the department and to Massart.It is extremely painful to
see his toxic rant
against the department, besmearing the College and insulting us by name
while claiming
himself as the victim.

As artists, teachers and mentors, it is our responsibility to stand up when
we are bullied and to
treat each other with respect. It is also our duty to foster an open,
respectful, and collegial
environment for our students.

Soon-Mi Yoo, Chair
Ericka Beckman, Professor
Gretchen Skogerson, Professor
Joe Briganti, Studio Manager, Video Area
Kim Keown, Studio Manager, Film Area