[Frameworks] image enhancement in FCP?

William Randall randall.188 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 18 06:13:27 UTC 2018

Gene,

You could try the free Unsharp Mask plugin here:
https://blog.alex4d.com/2012/02/12/blurs-7-free-fcpx-effects/

or the paid ProSharpen plugin by Pixel Film
<https://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/product/prosharpen/>. These are just a
couple I've seen on the post-production forums. Others seem pricey for what
little they do.

That said, the most widespread Photoshop-for-video software is Adobe After
Effects. It has a couple of sharpening effects and it uses layers kind of
like Photoshop. For low-res tapes you may need more than just sharpening:
deinterlacing, denoising, upscaling. Red Giant offers a couple of tools
(Frames and Instant 4K in the Shooter suite) that automate some of these
processes. They're more expensive, but work as plugins in AE and Premiere.
Not FCP, unfortunately.

Best,
William R.