[Frameworks] Conner/Marker and women of color suggestions

Beebe, Roger W. beebe.77 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 30 17:30:12 UTC 2018

I just saw An Ecstatic Experience by Ja’Tovia Gary for the second time last weekend at the Columbus Black International Film Festival & think it’s really doing interesting work with found footage:

http://www.jatovia.com/an-ecstatic-experience-new/

Not a black woman, but equally worthy of attention is Christopher Harris’s “Reckless Eyeballing”:

https://www.viennale.at/en/films/reckless-eyeballing  [Chris, where’s your website???  Couldn’t find it with a quick google search…]

As for composition & sequence, again not a black woman (just a woman), but I showed Katherin McInnis’s “Hat Trick” in my intro film production class to set up a flip book assignment this week, and I think the way she uses contact sheets of found images could be really interesting for both conversations:

https://vimeo.com/98387497

And Jen Proctor’s remake of Bruce Conner’s “A Movie” is already becoming a classic of the genre (for the YouTube era):

https://vimeo.com/11531028

Lots of non-white-dude options out there…
Roger