[Frameworks] Conner/Marker and women of color suggestions

Chrissie Iles, Curatorial chrissie_iles at whitney.org
Thu Aug 30 18:29:26 UTC 2018

Arthur Jafa said recently “If you point a camera at a Black person, on a psychoanalytical level it functions as a White gaze. It therefore triggers a whole set of survival modalities that Black Americans have. It doesn’t matter if a Black person is behind the camera or not, because the camera itself functions as an instrument of the White gaze. In other words, it’s recording evidence of people speaking; hence there are certain things you can say, certain things you can’t say.” There are profound implications for black filmmakers’ use of found footage and collage in A.J.’s observation. Here are some suggestions. 1,3,5, 6 and 9 are in the Whitney’s collection; the others are in the process of being acquired.

Gunvor Nelson and Dorothy Wiley’s film, though two white women, is also important to mention, and is an important counterpoint to the sexist imagery of ‘A Movie’ and other similar collage films of the time.

1.       Ja’Tovia Gary’s ‘An Ecstatic Experience’ (on show at the Whitney for the past nine months in ‘An Incomplete History of Protest’)

2.       Crystal Z. Campbell, ‘Go-Rilla Means War’ (2017) (collaged from a discarded 35mm film found in a former black civil rights movie theater in Brooklyn)

3.       Akusoa Adoma Owusu, ‘Split Ends (I Feel Wonderful)’ (2012) made from 1970s found footage of black women’s hair salons in New York, collaged images and soundtrack

4.       Yulan Grant, ‘Dis/Place’

5.       Diamond Stingily, ‘How Did he Die?’ (2016)

6.       Phillip Mallory Jones, ‘No Crystal Stair’ (1976) – viewable on Vimeo

7.       Tony Cokes, ‘Black Celebration’, 1988

8.       Theaster Gates, Do you hear me calling? (Mama Mamama or What Is Black Power?) 2018 – an installation using historical collaged footage

9.       Raphael Ortiz, ‘ “Cowboy” and “Indian” Film’ 1957-1958 – very early example of an indigenous voice critiquing the racist Hollywood portrayal of native Americans using collaged film clips.

10.   Gunvor Nelson and Dorothy Wiley’s ‘Schmeergunz’, 1966

11.   John Akomfrah (several of his films are currently being shown in his New Museum surveyin New York)