[Frameworks] Closed captioning for experimental film?

Caryn Cline carynycline at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 18:33:27 UTC 2018

Thank you for your thoughts, Jessica, Reed and Kerstin,

To answer Jessica’s questions, I found myself showing my film at a
community screening where the next group to show was an advocacy group for
disabled people, which meant that a number of viewers were either
hearing-impaired or sensitive to the needs of those who are.  I did not
know in advance that this would be our audience.  I don't know that anyone
putting the program together thought about the potential problem.  (There
was a large screen to the side where close-captioning was being created in
real time for the audience.)  One audience member challenged me (in the Q &
A afterwards) to never make a film again that did not have a
closed-captioning option.  I wasn’t prepared to think through the issue on
my feet.  Unfortunately, I needed to leave the venue and didn’t have the
opportunity to have a deeper conversation.  In the days since, I’ve tried
to imagine what closed-captioning for one of my films might look like.  How
do you visually indicate the balance between ambient audio and music, for
instance, when each plays throughout the film but changes over time?  In my
most recent film the soundtrack is made up of ambient sounds mixed with
longer sequences and “spots” of more central sounds in the foreground.  Perhaps
the size of the font used in the description could indicate the centrality
of a sound.  To me, every bird call and footstep is important.  Maybe these
soundtrack subtleties don't even matter as far as what closed-captioning is
trying to accomplish for hearing-impaired viewers.  Anyway, I am still
thinking about this.  Perhaps a conversation with someone at one of the
services Reed and Kerstin suggested would be helpful.

Best wishes,

CC