[Frameworks] film scanner

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Sun Feb 11 10:45:21 UTC 2018

I got a Wolverine for my filmmaking class in Korea where we shoot and
hand-develop our films. There is one guy making telecines in Seoul by
pointing an HD camera into the gate of a projector, but he would give
us interlaced AVI files. The Wolverine is better. However, the video
quality is not great, SD with lots of artefacts and macroblocks. The
bright parts of the image turn yellow. And it only makes 30 fps
files, so I downloaded a free app called Lossless Frame Rate
Converter to change them to 24 or 18. I wonder what is the next best
machine that makes higher quality at not more than twice the price?

But I am excited about using the Wolverine in our class with a
modified Nizo camera that will shoot exactly 24 frames per second for
sound sync. Our technician in Paris has made a tiny crystal sync
circuit that will fit in the camera behind the speed dial that will
keep the speed accurate to three decimal points.  Then the students
can shoot super-8 and record digital sound and make super-8 sound
films!

Pip Chodorov